Saturday, March 9, 2019

Frustrations at Club Level Chess

Even though I am nowhere near playing chess at a high level, there are frustrations experienced from time to time. The 2 typical sources of frustration I've experienced to date include:

(i) Frustration with myself -- this most often happens when we are upset with our own poor play. Which is fine. Negative emotions, not just positive ones, can make us grow as well. The negative feelings towards losing can make us strive towards improving our play.

(ii) Frustration with opponent -- Most of my (chess) friends find me decently-mannered (or so I believe ^o^), but there rare times when I am clearly unhappy after a game. This is usually arising from what I regard as poor etiquette. To date, the ones I have encountered are:
  • Offering a (sympathy / insincere) draw only to request to take it back. Isn't this the #1 thing when we start learning?  There is no take back in chess. Not only that, it makes me feel like the opponent is playing mind games through illegal means (not allowed under the laws of chess). 
  • Taking back moves in a blitz match. Interestingly, I do not mind in games played, if you at least request to take back, or show that you are apologetic about it. What made me upset (and I told the adult opponent off immediately after the game) is that he took back numerous times and celebrated his win when he won by 2 seconds remaining in a 5+0. He claimed he thought that "clock-move" applies in blitz games instead of touch move. I just hope he now knows and would stop using the same (lame) excuse in future. Otherwise, I will just continue to walk away and play with others like what I did.
  • Making a lot of redundant pre-game talks. I don't mind trash-talking amongst friends, but not the type which goes "I am a weak / new player" etc. and go on to trash me like nobody's business.
  • Giving advice to my opponent during a game. Honestly, it spoils the whole game. I am playing my opponent, not you. If you (think you) are so good, we can play. But what to do? You've upset me so much, I have no desire to play with you at all =)
But of course, chess is just a game. Despite my frustrations, I'm glad they only lasted for that particular chess session. Despite my claims, I do not actually blacklist people who in my opinion, behaved badly. However, I do hope they learn and improve their own behaviour. Some players have shown vast improvement in their behaviour over time. I believe like the art of playing chess, proper chess etiquette needs to be learned and internalised over time as well.

Moving on to playing chess. I have to say, I feel that my play has deteriorated partly because of my recent obsession with blitz. I do stand by my views on the benefits of playing some blitz games (improved nerves playing under severe time pressure, quick check of opening lines and general tactical sensing), but I do feel that my play, specifically my thinking process seems a bit shallow.

The following is a recent game I played with a kiddo opponent. Even though I won, I don't think I played well at all.

Kiddo v.s. newbie_learner
Rapid time control (15 minutes initial time with 10 seconds increment per move starting move 1)

1. d4 d5 
2. c4 c6 
3. Nc3 Nf6 
4. Bf4 g6 Diagram


I have played quite a number of games against the Slav Defence on both sides, but I have forgotten about an early Bf4. Frankly, I was not sure if what I played made sense. But I thought it was worth at least a try. Also, the #1 on my mind in this question is, whether Qb3 at any moment will "kill Black". I do not enjoy self-inflicting doubled isolated pawns on b7/b6 after ...Qb6. 

5. e3 Bg7 
6. Nf3 O-O 
7. Bd3 Bf5?! Diagram


Even though I wanted to try playing different from my usual play, I think this is outright bad. Sticking to my own advice, after 8.Bxf5 gxf5 9.Qb3 looks outright good for White. White is exerting a small pressure at no risk. If I can replay this move, I would have tried 7...Bg4 instead. Now if White insists on 8.Qb3, 8...Bxf3 (9.Qxb7 Bxg2 I don't believe White has anything either) 9.gxf3 Qb6 is fine for Black to me. 

8. O-O e6 
9. Bxf5 gxf5 
10. Ne5 Nbd7 
11. Bg5 Qc7 Diagram


9...gxf5 seems quite self-weakening on my Kingside (esp. when I'm not ready to with ...Rg8 to take the g-file under control, but I did not want to do 9...exf5 because again, I do not enjoy the pressure after Qb3. I actually am not sure of what to do if White does 12.Bf4. I probably have to initiate 12...Nxe5 and see where to relocate my Queen after 13.Bxe5. 

12. f4 Ne4 
13. Nxe4 dxe4 
14. Nxd7 Qxd7
15. Qb3 Qc7 Diagram


I felt 12...Ne4 necessary to generate something out of a rather passive position. I do feel that my young opponent over-exchanged a little. After these exchanges, I just want to exchange further to simplify the position! I chose 13...dxe4 over 13...fxe4 because I am more concerned over f4-f5 push as compared to d4-d5 push. I played 15...Qc7 because I am trying to stay out of trouble (potential open d-file facing White's Rooks) and I am looking for ...Qb6 as a resource.

16. Rac1 Qb6 
17. Rc3 Qxb3 
18. Rxb3 f6 
19. Bh4 Rf7 Diagram


Okay, I got to execute what I wanted -- exchange Queens to simplify the position. 18...f6 and 19...Rf7 was planned -- I wanted to block out White's dark square Bishop so that I will get to double Rooks on the d-file. 19...Rf7 is what I consider a little move to expedite the doubling of Rooks and to defend the b7 pawn at the same time. 

20. Rd1 Rd7 
21. Be1 Rad8 
22. Ba5 b6 
23. Bb4 c5 Diagram


I do believe I managed to repel my inexperienced opponent's moves. The culprit probably started from 20.Rd1 which gave me ideas to exploit the position, exploiting the pin on the unsupported d1 Rook. 

24. Bc3 cxd4 
25. Bxd4 e5 Diagram


The last 2 moves were consistent in exploiting the pin against White's unsupported Rook on d1. The game is essentially over. The remaining moves as follows:

26. Rb5 exd4 27. exd4 Rxd4 28. Rxd4 Rxd4 29. Rxf5 Rxc4 30. Kf2 Rc2+ 31. Ke3 Rxb2 32. Kxe4 Rxa2 33. Rd5 Rxg2 34. Rd8+ Kf7 35. Rd7+ Ke6 0-1

External link to replay the game with Chessbase 15's one-click tactical analysis function can be found below:



Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...