Sunday, March 3, 2019

...c6 Day at Siglap South CC & More

It was almost a Caro-Kann Day for me if not for 1 of the games which turned out to be the Semi-Slav instead. Also, I happen to be looking at my White repertoire but I played Black in all my games today ^o^

Again, I don't have that much time before the commencement of the work week, so I will be relying largely on Chessbase 15's Tactical Analysis.

External link to the 4 games played: http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/3/3/Game126546515.html

To the Siglap South CC Chess Club Kids: If you happen to see this by any chance, please SLOW DOWN when you play a rapid game! I find your time management in some of your games played amongst yourself really awkward. In a 15 + 10 (15 minutes initial time + 10 seconds increment per move starting from the first move), some of you ended the game with more time than your initial 15 minutes... Yes, you can play fast in the opening phase of the game if you are super familiar, but from what I saw, you are not as familiar as you think. So yeah, please slow down to minimise the possibility of unforced errors!

Today, there were more interesting things that the chess games themselves.

More #1: Advice Sought on Ruling of An Incident At Another Chess Site

I was pleasantly surprised to see a message from a chess facilitator of another site, seeking my advice on the following scenario.

Situation
Player A claimed a win through flag fall. Player B made a counter-claim that Player A distracted Player B by making the claim, when Player B originally still had 1 second left on the clock. In plain words, Player B is claiming that Player A's bogus flag fall claim caused a distraction. This distraction resulted in the actual flag fall that happened.

My Initial Advice
First, calm the players down.
Second, I was getting more information and details from the facilitator (establishing facts to the best we can).

Evaluation
  • As subsequent confirmed by the facilitator, it was hard to prove Player B's claim of distraction. 
  • Under normal circumstances, claims of distraction should be made during the game, not after the game is over.
  • As a matter of fact, Player B's flag did fall.
Recommended Judgement

  • Player A wins as Player B's flag falls (assuming that there are still legal means for Player A to deliver checkmate based on the final position on the board).
  • If the organiser / facilitator would like, remind players that they can only claim a flag fall after it actually happen (i.e. timer hits zero).
Unlike most other chess arbiters, I feel that such incidences ought to be publicised and discussed. Please let me know if you have a different opinion, or additional ideas on how the situation could've been better handled or judged.

More #2: Even DGT's Plastic (non-electronic) Set Looks Simply Gorgeous!

(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to DGT in anyway, but I am a really happy customer that has absolutely nothing but praises of the purchases I made so far!)

So I ordered a Club Pack (10 sets of chess pieces and cardboard chess board). 10 sets cost me approximately SGD $350 (incl. shipping), so each set is around $35, which is very reasonable. More importantly, it looks so beautiful. I feel that the plastic set is "normal" (despite feeling sturdy), but the board is really beautiful. Let the pictures I took speak for themselves!




Again, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear the chess parents at Siglap South CC ask me about them. (I brought 5 sets for the club's future use. Hopefully, the King's don't end up headless again. Please be gentle with them, kids!)

Just in case, there are 2 minor issues I had with the sets. They are not deal-breakers for me, but I believe one should be given enough information to make an informed decision. 

Only shortcomings I observed:
  • Sets do not come with an extra Queen (most "modern" chess sets we buy do have an extra Queen to facilitate pawn promotion); and
  • Pieces may be covered with a light layer of greenish powder. That is actually the powder/dust from the felt. But it can be wiped clean easily.
Dear reader, thank you again for your time and patience to come to the end!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...