Saturday, January 19, 2019

Friday Evening Chess Happenings 18 Jan 2019

To my current knowledge, there are 2 chess sites on Friday evenings, namely Thomson CC Chess Club and Cashew Chess Club. I visited Thomson CC Chess Club, which is just 1 MRT stop away from my workplace, while William, a fellow member of the Siglap South CC Chess Quartet, made his way all the way to Cashew Chess Club to continue his match series with Weng Chew, the founder of the club.

Happenings at Thomson CC Chess Club
After losing a blitz game to a kid who also visits Siglap South CC Chess Club, I joined the endgame league series initiated by Mr John Wong. Fatefully, I was paired with his (younger sis), and both of us won with the White pieces from the following position. I got to say, I prefer her first move to mine, though I guess I managed to trick her somehow. 

First Endgame Position in Endgame League: White to move and try to Grind. Black to try and hold. 
(Players will swap sides trying to attack / defend the position.) In my first round, both my young opponent and I won with the White pieces.

Below was our attempt. I admit I feel that her choice of the first move with the White pieces felt  more forceful than mine. 




Personal Thoughts and Learning Points:
  • This is a good introduction to the Thomson CC Chess Club for learning. Honestly, even if the position is not winnable with objective best play from both sides, one needs to experience and learn how to play it out, how to try "grinding" as White and resist grinding as Black. While I'm disappointed that I failed to hold the position when playing Black, I hope I will learn the key things I ought to know, when the 'solution' is shared over next or next next week. 
  • Playing the position out is really important for learning and improvement (rather than offering / accepting draws every time, essentially giving up trying).
  • My endgame is bad, so I look forward to gaining more learning and experience in the subsequent game positions to come =) 
Happenings at Cashew Chess Club
While the endgame chess league was going on at Thomson CC Chess Club, the featured (90+30) game between Weng Chew and William took place at Cashew Chess Club.

The games (can compare my own attempt looking through the game, against Chessbase 15's "objective" tactical analysis) here:
http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/1/19/Game4538562.html

Personal Thoughts and Learning Points:
  • The opening phase of the game felt very sharp. I really didn't see 9.Qb1 (my bad). If anything, I definitely want to stay away from this type of opening / position in my own games =)
  • If Black wasn't seeing ghosts, the game could've ended as early as move 15 after 15...Bxg2. Opening play does matter -- the game can end that early. 
  • Endgames =) 
  • Towards the last part of the game, it felt like Black was trying to win at all cost. Even though Black failed, I feel that the effort and attitude is commendable. At the very least, this unsuccessful try teaches the lesson to not take excessive risks at times. It may also say a couple of things on the players' psychology -- ideal state of mind should probably be something like "staying as objective as possible, with no self-imposed obligations to win a game". Smart players should take a step further and always seek opportunities to place the "burden of proof" on their opponents for a psychological edge (e.g. If there is no way I can lose or become worse off in an arising position. I will just keep on playing, decline any offer of a draw and place the burden of proof on my opponent that he/she can play the position out correctly). 
These are just the newbie views of newbie_learner, so please take it with a pinch of salt. If you have any ideas or tips on how I can improve, please feel free to share!

Thanks again in advance, as always!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...