Thursday, November 1, 2018

The Birth of Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

I hereby declare the birth of the Siglap South CC Chess Quartet! Consisting of

  1. Eric, "the Sunday Chess Uncle" ; 
  2. Seng Chin; 
  3. William; and 
  4. Yujing (Eugene), a.k.a. newbie_learner, scorekeeper etc.
We often run overtime and make a lot of interesting chess conversations to end the session.

From left to right: Eric, Seng Chin, William and Myself

While chess is often played 1 against 1 over the board, there is actually a lot of social elements. For example, my team mates (Team 8.c4! in the QCD Adults Team Chess League) and I would organise gathering sessions to discuss and play chess, cheer one another on when anyone is playing in a tournament, and considering to hold training games for levelling up). In other words, the background / preparation aspect, the post-game review is very sociable. We are not chess professionals with seconds, but I guess our attitude and passion for the game makes this social element very valuable and enjoyable.

Since this post is about the birth of us, I'd take this chance to share a little bit about how I know us (how I see them and how I see myself and chess). By the way, all 4 of us are also quite active at the Singapore Chess Meetup, which I have been promoting as THE BEST chess site in Singapore for social games at present. Another very sociable local chess initiative I love is pub X chess -- I simply love the fact that they are always trying out new ideas and formats to keep the experience fresh and interesting. It's unfortunate that the timing of Siglap South CC chess and pub X chess clashes head on, although I make it an effort to visit pub X chess on special occasions, like it's first anniversary event.

I may not be objective in my view of my fellow quartet members, but I do seek to understand all of them better. Hopefully, they would come to understand me better as we continue to enjoy one another's company over chess ^o^ Also, please feel free to shoot me if I am wrong about you, my friends!

Me on Eric 
To be honest, as someone who is very into chess etiquette (probably more so than chess playing skills), I did not have a pleasant experience when I first encountered Eric at Siglap South CC. That was why I first gave him the "Sunday Chess Uncle" nickname! He speaks loudly (in the middle of a game!) and he even used to say out the purpose of each move (discovered attack, double checks) -- seriously, who declares such things while playing a game?

But after seeing his enthusiasm -- his attendance at Siglap South CC is probably second only to myself -- there is a lot to respect, if not to like about this "uncle"! It turns out that he is a little bit hard of hearing, and that he is returning to playing chess after being semi-retired, after decadeS of absence. Hence, all the rules and conventions (etiquette) of how we play today (e.g. not declaring checks or mate in X moves as a form of respect), but after he comes to know about these, he actually makes an effort to improve his behaviour over time.

He is seeking to return to play in tournaments, and I am happy to help him where I can -- not so much on basic chess skills (I don't have much to offer in that department), but more importantly, current rules and etiquette! It's a pity he was not convinced to join some of the tournaments I recommended him earlier, but I can see that he really wants to play (and play well) in his first return tournament.

Me on Seng Chin
Without a doubt, the strongest player at present amongst the 4 of us. To the best of my knowledge, both Eric and William have not won (or is it scored) against him to date? (Please correct me on this!) While I did have a few successful games against Seng Chin, it was only because I exploited the matchup =(

It was after some social chit chatting did I learn that Seng Chin used to play competitive chess, and interestingly, he shared that he plays more "safety chess" in tournaments where results matter. I don't know how long it has been since he played his last tournament, but boy is he still very good. Obviously, I have invited him to consider joining the QCD Adults Chess League, which he has declined due to many practical reasons (commitment, stress level arising from team obligations etc.).  And boy are our side interests so similar (board games, Chinese Chess etc.) Where learning is concerned, I seek to acquire his tactical level -- it is VERY important if there are games I really want to win and make me a more complete chess player.

Me on William
Quite frankly, I feel that he's easily the most "under-rated" amongst chess friends I know. Don't get me wrong, he's not rated (like many players who have not played in a tournament). But I don't know why so many people seem to think he is easy to beat. I have lost some head-to-head games with him, even when he plays "funny" opening lines against me! Perhaps he has himself to "blame" for sometimes taking it easy when playing against kids, and then completely switching into serious mode when playing against adults like myself. *cries*

On a more serious note, he is really a great friend I enjoy "chessing" with. For his own good and development in terms of chess skills, I only hope he would consider playing in a tournament to gain the experience not easily replicable in social chess setting. Also, do consider playing with a clock as time management is a HUGE part of the game. The part on him yet to score against Weng Chew, another good chess friend of ours and regular attendee of the Singapore Chess Meetup and the founder of Cashew Chess Club, will be covered in the latter part of this post.

In fact, the Siglap South CC Chess Quartet have all played against Weng Chew in several games before, with Eric emerging as a regular sparring partner ^o^ There will be spin of contents in the latter part of this post. But for now, it's my air time!

Me on My Chess
I would be lying to say that I have never been rating conscious. After all, it is tagged to your FIDE ID, and for to qualify for certain leagues and tournaments, you need to meet certain rating requirements. But at this stage of my chess adventures, I really don't. I do not harbour any hopes to make any specific achievements (e.g. achieve a certain rating level, or as a friend outrageously suggest, become titled), although I will find joy if/when I manage to play the game well. Every game is a unique experience, and for both learning and safekeeping purpose, I record moves. Romantics may even consider seeing a chess game as you composing a piece of art with your opponent ^o^ (Yeah, I bought the DGT Board with the original intention of recording my blitz games, but now it serves as a point of interest at Siglap South CC. Which is not a bad thing at all!) Chess really is life, my life -- there's so many things I am interested in: chess play, chess psychology, training methods, social aspect, organising cost(time, effort and money) and considerations, laws of chess and ETIQUETTE!!!

There was a period of time chess friends suggested to me to reveal less about my chess as opponents get free intel in advance. But with my chess ambitions firmly identified, I no longer fear. While I don't think there's a need for anyone to prepare against me (that's too flattering to me!), it would be a great bonus, much like getting paired against a strong opponent (even titled ones) in a tournament. After all, a preparing opponent helps me to identify my own holes in chess!

Just want to make the disclaimer that the below "chess" aspect is purely my personal newbie views at present. If I am wrong, I look forward to be corrected. After all, like many other chess players, I seek to learn every day!

The Social Aspect of Chess: Asking How (What Opening) the Opponent Plays 
In the past, I have mixed feelings when anyone ask me about this. (If) both players are my friends, should I reveal anything? Is it ethical? At present, I have come to terms that this information seeking phase prior to the game is all part of the game. In a way, at our club/social level, I think players tend to think too highly of ourselves / our (opening) play. Not that opening play is unimportant, but at our level, there are way more important things to worry about (tactics, positional chess, time management, physical and mental fitness etc.)

On "Matchup"
I still feel quite strongly about this: For the purpose of long term growth, it is better to engage the opponent in their "strengths" and (try to) outdo them in it. However, in the short run, it is more effective (results-wise) to play the right matchup and sidestep the problems. This is especially important if a (young) player gets easily discouraged with losses. Or that if a player keeps losing to 1 specific opponent, it may get into the head of the losing player.

Just for study / discussion / "fun" purpose, let me qualitatively describe the head-to-head records among the 5 of us (the Siglap South CC Chess Quartet and Weng Chew):

  • Seng Chin has a favourable head-to-head record against all of us ^o^
  • Eugene has a favourable head-to-head record against Weng Chew.
  • Eugene has a slightly favourable head-to-head record against Eric and William
  • Weng Chew has a slightly favourable (or equal?) head-to-head record against Eric
  • Weng Chew has a favourable head-to-head record against William
  • William has a slightly favourable head-to-head record against Eric.
What can we tell from these head-to-head encounters? Okay, Seng Chin is on top, obviously, having favourable head-to-head records against everyone else. But that's not my focus here. William has slightly favourable head-to-head matchup against Eric, who has a slightly worse if not equal record with Weng Chew. If we see things as it is, it doesn't make sense that William has yet to score against Weng Chew.

This, I attribute not to playing strength but "matchup". And this, is what we the Siglap South CC Chess Quartet has been trying to do: Help William score against Weng Chew ^o^ 

We have been contributing (hopefully useful) ideas on how William can play his game:
  • Mental and Psychological Strengthening: Don't let the earlier losses get into the head. Attribute the losses to the matchup, not the playing strength difference. Believe you can win!
  • Don't initiate things you are uncertain of. It is possible to win by simply playing an effective waiting game and let the opponent collapse on his own.
  • Check against unforced errors
  • Opening-wise, just play what you are most familiar or comfortable with (this is also a general good tournament advice.)
  • Don't start the game with the burden to win. Stay focused and objective.

Please don't be unhappy with us, Weng Chew, we are levelling up your opponent so that he can level you up too ^o^

With our tips and well-wishes, William entered into a game with Weng Chew on the last day of October. I have to apologise for being unwell and thus unable to come down to support William for this game. Even though William did lose the game, I thought it contained many learning points, and more importantly, I'm sure everyone had fun!

Again, for learning and comparison, I'm analysing the game purely from my own perspective without the use of engine, followed by using the one-click "Tactical Analysis" function on Chessbase 14. See the vast difference yourself, LOL

Because Chessbase 14's annotations generated are not fully compatible with chess.com's feature, I'd experiment a "side-by-side"comparison between my own attempted analysis (without the use of engine), followed by the "Tactical Analysis" function on Chessbase 14 (Engine is Stockfish 9), in a separate window.

Click here to a separate window comparing my self-attempted analysis to the engine's 1-click feature. It would also be great if the 2 players can share a bit of their thoughts playing the game too! Sharing is learning!

Thank you again for your time.


Yours sincerely

Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...