Monday, October 29, 2018

Sunday Chess @ Siglap South CC (28 Oct 2018)

It's another great session at Siglap South CC. Actually, due to the heavy rain, I fell sick the next day (Monday, 29 Oct). However, it could be a blessing in disguise as I took a day's leave to rest (did not have much sleep over the past week due to work). And only so will I have time to make my post now!

Anyway, I enjoyed myself a lot, especially with the other regular adult players, "Sunday Chess Uncle" Eric, Seng Chin, William and myself. It is fun to have friends discuss and talk about chess and stuff. We went overtime (7+ pm) again. I am currently the only "active" player amongst the 4 of us, although I am clearly not the strongest -- never under-estimate "retirees" or club players -- I have learned a lot playing with them, and I hope a couple of them seeking to play their debut tournament will feel ready soon!

It was also great to know that the capability of my DGT board continue to be utilised to the maximum in terms of hitting its recording capacity of 500 moves. It must have been my best chess purchase to date -- sets I bought for aesthetics are just tucked away collecting dust =)

Personal Games

Learning Points

  • Got to be careful with the opening phase, esp. when playing Queen's Gambit and not liking the IQP position.
  • 11.Ne5 was a bit out of style, but at least it is not losing. I should be even more experimental in my casual training games.
  • Have to be careful of opponent's ideas and pawn breaks. I still prefer to deny ...e5 at move 18.Re1 when possible.

Learning Points

  • It may be more important to get into a position you are familiar or enjoy, than to play something that is "objectively good" but you don't know how to handle. The way I play the opening is extremely unambitious.


Learning Points

  • Experimentation can be rewarding for learning (although in a tournament / official game, it will depend on the mood of the day). I'm glad I tried out this setup I've not used for a while (because 1.Nf3 does have the drawback of taking away movement of the f-pawn). 
  • Also, I am a rather lazy player not caring for the most precise finish-off / aesthetics. There is actually a more elegant way to win several times in this game.

White to Move and Win in Precise Fashion


Games Captured by DGT Board
This will continue to serve as some value-add to the fellow players @ Siglap South CC. You should be able to identify your own games!



Thanks again for your time!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing
a.k.a. newbie_learner

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...