Sunday, January 13, 2019

Good Games at Siglap South CC Chess Club

Played a couple of good games at Siglap South CC Chess Club. Specifically, I got outplayed in 2 of the 3 games played at one point. Bad form on me in that I missed quite a bit of tactical things. But more importantly, I'm glad to see the progress of the kids.

To maximise learning value for everyone, esp. the kids, I'd try to share more tips as we go along. Of course, I will always qualify that I'm not an accredited trainer, and that everyone should always question what they are being taught/told.

(In chronological order)

Game 1


  • Overall, a "smooth" game. This particular line is something I play on both sides on a rather regular basis. I'm glad I remembered what I'd seen before -- 7.h3, as non-contributing to own development as it is, is a good move because it takes away the important g4 square away from Black's pieces and more importantly, allows the dark square Bishop to retreat to h2 should it be harassed by ...Nh5. 
  • I love my decision of 13.Qb3, offering to get my own pawns on the queenside wrecked for dynamic play, as well as the subsequent follow through while stifling Black to death.

Game 2



  • Bad on me to keep missing the tactical opportunities: 7...dxc4 and 9...dxc4
  • I really don't know how to generate play on the Queenside. Even though it is objectively not so good, I would really consider an early ...a6 to stop White from playing b4-b5 for good. Conceding the b6 square the White Knight is really not that big a deal (from Black's perspective).
  • More importantly, for long-term learning, I need to learn to appreciate how to play in this type of position.
  • White was completely winning at one point -- he should not have played at blitz rate just because Black is very low on time (living on incremental). Instead, White should slow things down while maintaining high quality moves.
White just played 17.h3 to take away the major threat of ...Ng4. The best move recommended is 17...Ne4, centralising, provoking weaknesses if White chases either the Black Knight or Queen. If White ignores it, Black can also consider consolidation with ...f7-f5.


Game 3


  • I forgot my opening analysis on Black's side =(  The best move after 10.Qxf3 is really 10...Qe7+. Because Black has the Isolated Queen Pawn, Black must really make the dynamic factors count. Every inconvenience that can be inflicted should be done! Even better if Black can inflict some damage on White's pawn structure along the way. 
  • Things could've been simpler with a prophylactic 11...h6 first, avoiding the Bg5 pin altogether.
  • Again, my judgement in this game is a little proof that I'm really not obsessed with the Bishop pair. After 12...Qb6!? I would have gone for 13.Bxf6 as White and inflicted further damage on Black's pawn formation, even though it costs White the Bishop pair.
After 12...Qb6!? I feel that the position is calling for 13.Bxf6 to be played.

  • Already not in good form today, but being low on time made the situation worse. One can never expect to play half as good as normal circumstances under time pressure.
I also played a mini blitz series with another adult chess player. On hindsight, we should've played on my DGT board instead, LOL.

Am curious to see how both these kiddos and other adult players including myself seek to improve with time! Caissa, please watch over us!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...