Friday, March 15, 2019

A Disastrous Friday Night of Chess?

First and foremost, my condolences to the victims, family and friends of the Christchurch shooting incident.

Today, I played 3 rapid games (20 minutes per side with no increment) with Ms Zhemin, a regular at Singapore Chess Meetup and Thomson CC Chess Club. Results-wise, it was indeed disastrous in that I lost 2 games. In fact, I might have lost all 3 games. I will explain the "controversial" result in game 1. Personally, I really enjoyed game #2 despite losing. And I guess my friends who follow a little bit of my games will understand why.

Before I show the game moves, I do want to share the following thoughts:
  • I was surprised to learn that chess is indeed a rather sexist game even at the social level. I have more than a couple of male chess friends who admitted to me in private that they cannot stand losing to female chess players in particular. But I am happy to say, I have no such gender-related ego problem at all. Which is why I can be candid about my losses today like a man ^o^
  • If anything, I am more curious to find out how my opponent managed to improve so much over a short span of time. Or did my play really deteriorate so much after my diversion into "arbiterhood" and organising chess events?
  • There is nothing "unfair" about a chess game. We start off with equal time, symmetrical positions. I used to lament after some losses that "it won't happen in a standard game". I've manned up and stopped being such a sore loser! In fact, it was unfair that I took White twice (and still got my ass kicked).
  • After sharing my 'misadventure' tonight, I have a couple of (adult) chess friends who are eager to challenge her already ^o^
Game 1: newbie_learner v.s. Ms ZM

1. d4 d5 
2. Nf3 e6 
3. g3 Back to 1 of my old love (does that count as a "fling", lol) the Catalan. 
3...Nf6 
4. Bg2 c5 
5. O-O Diagram


I am not particularly scared of Black taking the pawn majority with ...cxd4. My argument is that I get to centralise my Knight to d4 (and unleash my Catalan Bishop. If Black plays ...e5, he has already cost himself with ...e6 first, so it is not a complete waste of time on White's part. 

5...Be7 
6. dxc5 Again, I justify the initiation of this capture as Black has spent one move on ...Be7.
6...Bxc5 
7. a3 Diagram 


Similar to Queen's Gambit Declined ideas (...dxc4 Bxc4, followed by ...a6 and ...b5 to
achieve ...Bb7), I am going to play b4, Bb2, Nbd2 and c4 to develop and strike
back against Black's centre pawn majority. 

7...Nbd7 
8. b4 Be7 
9. Bb2 If I can develop and delay ...e5 while preparing to strike back against Black's centre
with c4, why not. 
9...b6 A very logical thing to do. In anticipation of White striking back in the centre, Black places the light square Bishop on b7 for an equally awesome b7-h1 diagonal. 
10. Nbd2 Bb7 
11. c4 Rc8 
12. cxd5 Diagram


I do want to reduce Black's centre pawn majority at all cost. On hindsight, perhaps I
should have also considered 12.Ne5!? to take this chance to exploit the
pressure on the diagonal. Fundamentally, my White King is already defending my
g2 Bishop, while Black's Bishop on b7 is still undefended. White should have a
small advantage when the 2 light square Bishops face off in the diagonal. 

12...Bxd5 
13. Rc1 The c-file is important enough for both sides to fight over it. 
13...O-O 
14. Qa4!? Diagram


An interesting way to exert a little bit of pressure while completing the opening development by connecting the backrank Rooks. I even saw the possible responses from Black but I really wanted to see how it goes.

14...a5 
15. bxa5 Here, I am anticipating either ...Nc5 or ...Ra8. And I guessed right! 
15...Nc5 Saw this coming, and I was asking myself who is actually better. 
16. Qb5 Exploiting the possibility to go Qxb6. So the White Queen is not trapped at the very least. 16... bxa5 
17. Bc3!? Diagram


Even though I felt uncertain about this move, I justified my move based through elimination. If I do not move out either the White Queen or the dark square Bishop out of the b-file, Black is going to cause some disruption with ...Rb8. Rather than waiting for that to happen, why not take this chance to get the undefended Bishop out of harms way. Also this counter-exerts some pressure against Black's a5 pawn.

17...Rb8 
Engine: If Black found 17...a4! fixing White's weak pawn on a3 while threatening to advance the a-pawn,  White would face an uncomfortable position.

18. Qxa5 Ra8 
19. Qxd8 Rfxd8 
20. Bb4 Diagram


The way I see it, White cannot be worse. The worst-case scenario that can happen is that Black recaptures White's pawn on a3 and that's still equal.

20...Nfd7
21. Rc2 I am trying to double Rooks. Because my time situation is quite bad, I just want to make sure I do not blunder while maintaining small pressure against Black. 
20... Kf8 
22. Rfc1 Nb3 
23. Bxe7+ Kxe7 
24. Nxb3 Bxb3 
25. Rc7 Diagram


I feel that I achieved what I wanted: get into a position whereby I can exert a little bit of pressure against Black.

25...Bd5 
26.Ne5 Bxg2 
27. Kxg2 Ke8 Black played correctly here to avoid getting into trouble. =( Here, being severely down on time, I chose to simplify into a Rook endgame with 1 pawn up. 
28. Nxd7 Rxd7 

Engine: The best way for White to retain maximum advantage is to keep the Knight and play 28.Nc4. But it is understandable that White wanted to simplify under time pressure.

29. Rxd7 Kxd7 
30. Rc3 Diagram

This was the final position I managed to record. I did not have the luxury of time to continue recording as I was in severe time trouble. 

Eventually, we reached a position that while White cannot lose objectively, but White only
had 2 or 3 seconds left on the clock. So I played in a totally gamesmanship
way:


(This may not be the exact game position, but it illustrates the point.)

Objectively, White may have a winnable position. BUT in the game, White has only around 2 seconds left on the clock. And because there is no time increment per move, White is going to lose by time forfeit. So it should not be too difficult to guess what move I played out of pure gamesmanship...

x.Rh4! Objectively, it should be given a ?! for completely giving up winning chances. However, if you take the time situation into account, this was the only trick I have for White.

x...Ra4+
x+1. Kf3 Rxh4?!  Objectively correct, but as I explained to Zhemin after the game, she could've just made any other Rook move -- basically, just keep the Black Rook alive on the Board and she would've won by time forfeit. But obviously, she wasn't playing on the technicalities here. Good for her!
x+2.gxh4 White Flag falls, 1/2-1/2 

To be honest, even though I am trained as an arbiter, I was not absolutely sure that I managed to play x+2.gxh4 before my timer hits zero. I mean, I was focused solely on making the moves as fast as possible, I genuinely did not bother to check the clock. It could well be possible that had there been a camera or observer looking, my flag may have fallen before I made the move of x+2.gxh4. 

External Link to the game can be found below:
http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/3/16/Game7308687.html

Perhaps Caissa did not like my antics here. In any case, I got my ass rightfully kicked in the 2 games to follow =) 


Game 2: Ms ZM v.s. newbie_learner

Pre-game thoughts: Following Game 1 not winning despite having some promising advantage at certain point, I was eager to play for a win (even at increased risks of losing). Something a turtle like myself usually don't pursue. I mean, if I do not play for a win in a casual setting like this, I would never have the guts to do it in a tournament. I have more to win than to lose.

I did feel that I was playing too slowly. In a time control with no incremental situation, every second consumed is lost for good. Throughout my games 2 and 3, I was trying to play faster but in both games, I ended up in worse time situation. I don't know how my opponent just manage to play so much faster with decent accuracy. That was probably a side frustrating point throughout, when I made a conscious effort to not fall (too much) behind on the clock and constantly failed.

1. Nf3 Nf6 
2. d4 d5 
3. Bf4 c5 
4. e3 cxd4 Diagram


My justification is that rather than waiting for White to build the pawn triangle typical in the London System, why not initiate the reduction of White's central pawn majority before c3 is played? After c3 is played, White has additional option to react to ...cxd4.

5. Nxd4
This was new to me. Not wrong, just new.
5...Nc6 
6. Bg3 Qb6 

Engine: 6...Qb6 is not good because White can just play 7.Nc3 and Black probably won't have the time to be greedy with ...Qxb2.

7. Bb5 Bd7 
8.Bxc6 bxc6 Diagram



I was eager to retain the Bishop pair for a good fight!
9. b3 e6
10. O-O Be7 
11. Bh4 I feel that White has spent too much time on the not so important things in the opening phase of the game. Give other pieces a chance to develop instead! 
11...O-O Diagram



And Black is faster than White in completing opening development. By 2 moves.

12. Nd2 e5 When we are faster, we open up the position! Also, Bishops prefer open positions.
13. N4f3 Bd6 

Engine: The correct way for Black to play is 13...e4 immediately. White has already lost the Bishop pair. So there's no need to allow White to inflict more damage with the remaining Bishop -- Black's Bishop should have stayed at e7 as far as possible to avoid damaging of pawn structure.

14. Bxf6 gxf6 Diagram


Both sides have things to be happy about. White has damaged Black's pawn
structure and weakened Black's Kingside. Black retains the Bishop pair and has
supremacy over centre pawns. 

Engine: 14.Bxf6 is a good move. 14.Nc4! would be another good move forcing to take away Black's Bishop pair.

15. c4 White's undermining efforts of Black's centre pawn majority begins. 
15...Qb7 My intention is to avoid any danger (e.g. 15...Qc7 runs the risk of allowing White to open the c-file with cxd4 followed by Rc1.) But on hindsight, maybe 15...Be7 was better in that it immediately defends the weak f6 pawn. 

16. Nh4 With ideas like Qh5, f4, Nd2-f3, Nf5 etc. 
16...Kh8 With options like ...Rg8 for counter-play.

Engine: 16...Be6 would have prepared to fight off White's Kingside attack.

17. Qh5 Be6 
18. Nf5 Bb4 Diagram



Trying to buy myself a tempo. Which is really quite risky as White has ideas like Qh6orh4-Qxf6+

19. Rad1 Rg8 Now there is the resource of ...Rg6. During the game, I got carried away realising the threat of ...Bg4. Which led to a horrible blunder costing me the game. 
20. f4 e4 Done to keep the f-file closed AND take away the f3 square from White's pieces
(f1 Rook and d2 Knight). 
21. Nd4 Bg4 Diagram




I still believe 22...Bg4 is a good move, but because I did not calculate enough, I got worried by White's next move during the game.

22. Qh4 Only after this move was played over the board, I realised that 22...Bxd1 may not be such a
great idea after 23.Qxf6+! Rg7 (only move) 24.Nf5 and what exactly am I
supposed to do after this move? I thought it looked really horrible, if not outright losing for Black. But then, I also did not want to lose my opportunity "winning". So I rejected a "normal" response like 22...Be7 which simply holds off the f6 square and threatens ...f5 to kick the White Queen off
(because 22...Be7 White can now move the d1 Rook without losing the Knight on
d2). But what I played was such a horrible blunder. 
22...Qe7?? which was immediately punished critically.
23. Nxc6 Basic fork! Honestly, I was contemplating between resignation on the spot, or just play on a few more moves for "completion" sake. After the game, I suggested that 22...Rg6! seems
winning for Black. If 23.f4 Rg5!? And I like Black's prospects.

Engine: Indeed, my post-game analysis is correct. 22...Rg6 or 22...Be7 are the best moves for Black. Winning too. 

23..Qd6 
24. Nxb4 Bxd1 
25. Nxd5 Be2 25.Nxd4 first may work out nicely, but White is in such a dominating position, "everything" works. 
26. Rf2 Bd3 The rest are really inconsequential moves
27. Nxf6 Rg7 
28. Nh5 Rg6 
29. f5 Rh6 
30. Qf4 Black eventually lost the game. 
1-0

Some additional thoughts and learning points:
  • Even though objectively, game 2 contained more mistakes, both Zhemin and I liked this game most. I guess deep in most chess players hearts, we want to play more interesting chess, even if that is objectively inferior. 
  • My handling of dynamic positions cannot be compared to the "safe, quiet" type of "turtle" positions I fare better with. But if I do not at least try them out in casual, non-consequential games, such weaknesses will linger on.
  • Game's 2 loss made me feel more obliged to try and win game 3, only to backfire (Similar pattern to game #1, got a pawn and some advantage, failed to convert and entered into what should be an objectively equal ending. Then I came under huge time pressure, over-pressed and lost). It goes to show that the mentality / expectations one carries (playing to win | playing to not lose | playing your usual self) can greatly affect one's play.
External Link to the game can be found below:
http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/3/16/Game14850437.html


Game 3: newbie_learner v.s. Ms ZM

1. d4 e6 
2. e4 I used to play the French Defence before I switch to the Caro Kann. Hence, this will make for an interesting and practical choice. 
2... Nc6 Okay, I have never seen this, which means this must be objectively bad! But
even if it is bad, I need to work things out over the board.
3. d5 exd5 
4.exd5 Nce7 


I was expecting ...Ne5 instead. 

5. Nf3 Nf6 
6. Bc4 a6 
7. a4 d6 

Engine: Instead of a normal move of 7.a4, the engine recommends an immediate 7.d6 to wreck Black's pawn structure for good.

8. Nc3Bd7 
9. O-O g6 
10. Bg5 Bg7 

Engine: Again, not "ordinary" moves. 10.Ne4! There is no 10...Nxe4 because of 11.Qd4 winning back the Knight on e4 and disturbing Black's Kingside development. White can slow down Black's development, which contributes to the most value for White. 

11. Qd2 O-O Diagram



White completed his opening development first. But what should he do next? Play Bh6 to trade Bishops? Play Rfe1 to control an open file? 

12. Rfe1 Since Black has resources like ...Nf5, I don't think Bh6 is going to be that effective. I thought controlling the open e-file makes more sense.
12...Re8 
13. h3 To take away the g4 square from 2 of Black's pieces. 
13...b5 Diagram


An interesting counter which is quite thematic. 

14. axb5 axb5 
15. Nxb5!? I do not think this is objectively "correct" But I think it is playable. I just don't want to give Black an easy ...Bxb5 and still get to capture on d5 as the White Bishop on b5 gains a tempo on the Black Rook on e8.

Engine: 15.Rxa8 Qxa8 16.Bxb5 would've given more advantage to White. The problem with getting the White Knight pulled to b5 for no good reason is that Black has a useful resource of ...Ne4 forking White's Queen on d2 and Bishop on g5.

15...Rxa1 
16. Rxa1 White gets the open a-file while Black gets the open e-file.
16...Nf5 Diagram


Here, I was really unsure what to do. I know that ...h6 is coming, and also ideas like ... Qb8, ...Ne4 etc. Hence, I simply relocated my Knight back, having won a pawn.

17. Nc3 h6 
18. Bxf6 Qxf6 
19. Ra7 Just being irritating while showing that White has no concrete plans despite the 1 pawn advantage. I did check that Black Rook does not seem to have any useful square within
White's turf. 
19...Qd8 
20. Ra3 Diagram




In fear of ...Qb8, I have Rb3 as a resource.

20... Qb8
21. Rb3 Qa7 
22. Kh2 I do not want to entertain ...Ng3 ideas. Kill this threat at the onset!
22...Qa5 Diagram



Here, I decided to "go for it".

23. Nb5!? Qxd2 
24. Nxd2 Bxb5
25. Bxb5 Rb8 
26. c3 Diagram -- this was the last position recorded.


While having the pawns on the same colour as the opponent means that the pawns can become targets, (mini) pawn chains can also take the scope away from opponent's Bishop. This is my choice to combat the fianchetto Bishop on g7. And believe it or not, White eventually managed to lose out of
his all-in "play to win" mentality in the endgame. I don't think this is necessarily a bad mentality. It just means I am currently not tough enough to play this way. So I will toughen myself up to play like this! 

0-1

External Link to the game can be found below:
http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/3/16/Game18334000.html

Maybe it's time to refer to Juga's Oh Capablanka Video again for comfort ^o^



Looking forward to your generous feedback for my learning / improvement! Thank you.


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...