Monday, October 1, 2018

Sunday Chess Session @ Siglap South CC (30 Sept 2018)

On this day, I played 3 rapid games and a tonne of blitz games (the number of blitz games I played with this NSF is probably equivalent to the number one plays in a blitz tourney, lol). I lost more than I won, but thanks to his experimentation with all sorts of openings (while I stick to my usual openings), I felt I learned quite a bit  

A small pity I didn't play my blitz games on my DGT Board for records/review purpose. But for the greater good, I'm glad my DGT Board found its use at not just this day, but also the previous day during our Singapore Chess Meetup BBQ session

My 3 Rapid Games Played
Game 1
Learning Points / Tips:
  • Do not create problems for oneself unnecessarily. The purpose of 6...c5 was to challenge White's centre. Instead of the funny 7...Ba5 that didn't make any sense to me, just do something like 7...cxd4 already. After 7...Ba5, Black is just asking for trouble. Totally unforced, unprovoked error.
  • Small things matter. My decision to create some obvious weaknesses at the cost of the Bishop pair is deemed very favourable to White (13.Nxc8 Qxc8 14.Bxf6 gxf6), but I need to follow up even more strongly with 15.Nd4, instead of the "ordinary" 15.Qb3 just bringing my Queen out of the d-file in fear of ...Rd8.
  • Practical decision-making -- Despite the odds, Black should not have exchanged Rooks so 'cheaply'. If Black decided to play on, just try to play ...Kh7 and ...Rg8. Going for the easy exchange of Rooks felt like Black was just going through the motion before resigning. Of course, can't blame Black, since he has no tournament experience.
Game 2
Learning Points / Tips:
  • Do not play openings you've never played in a competitive setting (results-oriented). There's no harm to do this in casual / training games, however (learning-oriented). 
  • Even when in bad shape or on the complete defensive, do not overlook chances to counterattack. Missed opportunities at 23...Rc7 (23...cxd4 24.Bxd4 Qe6) as well as 24...dxe5 (24...cxd4 25.exf6 Qxe2 26.Rxe2 dxc3).
  • Last but not least, stop playing like a p_ _ _ _. 
Photo by Sereja Ris on Unsplash


Game 3

Learning Points / Tips:

  • The opening phase was handled well. The key inaccuracy started at 16...Qc4, which offered to simplify a better position too much should White traded Queens. Something like 16...Bc5 would have continued to build pressure (essentially, Black is trading off a defender for the attacked White pawn on e5.

Games Played by Others (Captured by the DGT Board)

Yours sincerely

Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner, scorekeeper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...