Friday, September 28, 2018

10th and Final Round of QCD Adults Team Chess League 2018

Ever since I took the painful decision to reduce my visiting frequency to the Singapore Chess Meetup (I wanted to dedicate my time for chess self-study), I have been posting at reduced frequency as well. Other than coming up with some ad-hoc posts when I have the inspiration to do so, I only cover other chess sessions I have (Sunday sessions @ Siglap South CC and the QCD league). 

This is practically the last non-Siglap South CC coverage I have for now... Let's end it with a bang! Today, I ended up being the weakest link in my team. All my team mates won their games, while I was fortunate enough to have Caissa's blessings to hold an objectively lost game once again. Of course, divine intervention and luck aside, I also have my nerves to thank for not losing (what to do when you are down on time AND in a bad position?). I will share some newbie tips for fellow newbie players seeking to improve their chess play. And as usual, if you have some tips or comments, please feel free to share -- I am so grateful for all the feedback received to date!


Before we dive into the game and pictures, I have reverted to the using chess.com's interface. No doubt that the chessbase interface has way more functionality I like. However, I don't know how to customise the colour themes-- I like the new blogger theme very much, and chess.com's interface colour scheme is much better suited as compared to chessbase's. Oh well, it is very difficult to strive for 'perfection' isn't it. Will have to live with the imperfections until a solution is found! 


A Self-attempted Review Without the Use of Database / Engines 

(Should my opponent, Mr Goh, remember the exact move order/moves, please let me know where I recorded wrongly!

Okay, time to reveal what I got correct and wrong through the checking with the engine/database!

What the Engine and Database "Says"



  • Based on the engine's top evaluation and database's #1 popularity, 6.c4 is fine (4K+ games). Though statistically, 6.b3 (1K+ games) scores a couple percentage point better. Both options are still employed in 2018, so both should be sound.
  • Oh yes, I forgot this point which I thought in the game. After 7.Nb3, I was debating between 8.b3 and 8.Qd3. I decided to go with 8.b3, since again, following the general guidelines, I should not commit a piece to defend a pawn whenever I can help it. Also, I thought 8.Qd3 exposes the White Queen a little too much. And both are the engine's #1(8.b3) and #2(8.Qd3) choice.
  • After 11...a6, 12.a4 is indeed 1 of the top engine options (though not the only one). Another alternative I like is 12.Rfe1. Now, the f1 square is vacated for White's light square Bishop to fight over b5 (discouraging ...b5)
  • After 11...b5, 12.Rfd1 was indeed suggested as 1 of the best options as well. This is probably better than 12.cxb5 played as 12...axb5 gives Black the powerful resource of ...Ba6 for free. Exchanges are never "innocent" in chess!
  • 15.Ba1?! is really quite bad. But the supposed correct alternative isn't easy for me to see: 15.dxc5 dxc5 16.Nd4 to press on the c6 square for equality (or 15...Nxc5 16.Nd5 to encourage exchange of pieces to strive for equality).
  • I'm not sure the move order from after 24.Nd4 to 38.Qc2 is correct, so I'm not pointing out some of the tactics. (but the position is obviously lost for White). After 38...Qxc2 39.Rxc2 Nxa4 40.Rxc5 Naxc5, 41.Kf1 could've been punished by 41...Nxd2 (leading side exchange pieces not pawns!) 42.Nxd2 Kf7. The point being, White King is kind of imprisoned (c3 d3 squares are cut off, and Black will try to slowly but surely push up the King and pawns.
  • Indeed, after the desperate 44.Nc2, the engines also recommend that Black not go for the exchange of pawns, but just retreat 1 of the Knights to defend the pawn on b4. And 42...Nc6 is better than 42...Na6 because after 42...Nc6, the d3 square is still kept away from the White King.

Personal Conclusions / Learning Points: 

  • Cannot blame the opening for the bad game. I misunderstood the demands of the position. This was really another lucky escape.
  • My natural playing style is quite telling: If I can limit my opponent's options, I excel. On the other hand, I'm terrible in more dynamic positions with many options for both sides. I feel that it is important to know the type of player you are, so that you can work on your strengths / weaknesses more effectively. 
  • When I can't find a good defence, it is often better to look for counter-attack than defending passively (Problem came 1 after another following the extremely passive 15.Ba1).
  • On the bright side, we simply have to learn from our mistakes. I need to be more cautious against this thematic ...b5 pawn break
  • The objective badness aside, I like all my psychological and mental strength aspects of the game. This self-taught advice, I find really useful (despite being common sense): Everyone feels bad when they have a bad position, and everyone feels scared when their time is low. It's natural human feelings. BUT feeling bad and scared won't improve the situation! If you keep panicking, the clock will just continue to tick. This is why for the strong, seasoned players, they handle bad positions and time pressure much better than normal casual players. And to improve in these qualities, you simply have to keep playing competitively WITH A CLOCK. Can't emphasise this enough when I see fellow players with ambitions to improve keep playing casually without a clock -- you won't get a sense of training in terms of time management. If your preference is indeed to "play well where time pressure is not a determinant factor", why not go and play online correspondence chess instead? I really don't think this works very well for (competitive), over-the-board chess. Fairness is another issue when no clocks are used, when 1 side uses disproportionately more time (which I used to be extremely guilty for). 


Enough of the boring, 'technical' stuff. Now, the social element of the tournament!

The 4 players of team 8.c4! in tonight's concluding round (from left to right): Arun, Mark Liew a.k.a. Dr Chessdad, LPK and myself. It is our 4th team victory scored. Our team had achieved vast improvement over the course of a year. Comparing our achievements:

Team Results
In 2017, we only managed 1 draw (because 2 of the opponent's team players did not turn up, but then the 2 players who played for team 8.c4!, including yours truly, lost their games) and lost all other 7 team encounters, ending the tournament at 14th place out of 14 teams ^o^

In 2018, we actually won 4 of the 9 rounds played (the draw doesn't count to me, since we received a bye), and ended in the 12th position out of 17 teams. 



 

As for my individual result, even though I still failed my target (for any tournament, my personal target is always to score 50%), I can say there were notable improvements results-wise as well.




In 2017, I scored 1.5 out of 7 (1 win, 1 draw and 5 losses, -4). This has improved to 3 out of 8 (1 win, 4 draws and 3 losses, -2). And the rating average is "nonsense" -- I definitely faced stronger opponents this year compared to the last.

If you noticed, our team has made zero changes over the 2 seasons. If I am not mistaken, we are the only one. 

A Special Shout-out to "Sunday Chess Uncle"

A post-event selfie with "Sunday Chess Uncle", Mr Eric Lim. The nickname "Sunday Chess Uncle" arises from his consistent attendance at the Sunday Chess sessions at Siglap South CC (3pm-6pm). If not mistaken, his attendance is equal if not even higher than mine -- I absent myself when I'm unwell or when I participate in some of the local tournaments. The only time I recall he missed the Sunday session, was when he went on a cruise. In any case, I'm really grateful for his support, coming all the way just to see the league, cheer for my team and I, as well as helping with the games setup and clearing up after the tournament. He also praised me for playing on in dying seconds consistently, although that is something tourney players would need to do -- its either play on under time pressure, allow time forfeit, or just resign the game. You choose =)

As a form of reciprocity, I did share with him my thoughts of the following position, from the game he played with Weng Chew, founder of the Cashew Chess Club (Fridays, 8pm onwards at Cashew RC Zone 5) at Singapore Chess Meetup (Wednesdays, 6:30pm onwards at Asia Square Tower One)


On further thoughts, I may have been wrong in saying this is my last "coverage" of the 2nd season of the QCD Adults Chess League. I may still want to talk about the end of season dinner and prize presentation that will be tak place -- once again, I'm really grateful to our sponsor, the QCD Group, for their generosity.

In addition, I am really trying to contain my excitement to interview whom I personally regard as the MVP of the 2nd season of the QCD league (this decision has been made before the start of tonight's concluding round). I have actually shared my views in private with my chess friends, and have received numerous feedback from quite a number -- some agree with my choice, some disagree. Which is all good. We all have our own ways to determine whom we admire the most. Out of respect for the organisers, I will not state my choice publicly before the official MVP is announced, but I don't think identifying a different MVP is really that bad. This is quite often in many sporting events -- fans have their own MVP in their hearts even if the official MVP award winner happens to be someone else. I do think I have the same right to be different in my views -- and I am quite sure I can convince my readers, or at least explain, why I chose this player as the MVP on my books. Stay tuned!

A Shout-out to People Interested to Play in Next Year's QCD Adults Team Chess League
Last but not least, a big shout-out to fellow chess players interested in playing in the QCD Adults Team Chess League from next year onwards. Here are some of my introductions and suggestions for your consideration:

  • In this season, I have helped in the formation of 2 brand new teams, namely (i) the Asia-Squared Bishops and (ii) Marinus Deep. Truth be told, A LOT of them are players from the Singapore Chess Meetup, or they saw our postings online on the league, so if you are interested, do start sourcing for your potential team mates here.

    No, I do not earn any commission from the sponsors for forming a new team(s), LOL. But I did make a lot of new friends in my course of 'work'. What can be more fulfilling than helping to serve the local chess community within my means possible? =) I'm not playing favouritism here, but want to mention 2 of them in particular, namely, Anthony the true gentleman (he reminded me to press the clock in the midst of a tournament! For that, I have covered him before in some of my earlier blog posts, and Yan Han, the current facilitator / captain (sorry I don't know what's the official title at the current cohort!) of the National University of Singapore (NUS) Intellectual Games Club (IGC): Chess Section. I was the captain in the pioneer batch ^o^
  • It will definitely help if you can give a little bit information of yourself (on top of information like your contact number -- everyone communicates via what's app, your FIDE ID if you have one), like your chess history (e.g. do you play in tournaments? If so, how frequent?) , your ambition in the league (whether you just want to enjoy playing chess again with fellow chess enthusiasts, or you want to join with goal of winning a top prize). This would greatly help facilitate the formation of teams as we also minimise, if not avoid severe mismatches within a team. 
  • "House rules" apply in this unrated tournament. The fastest way to clarify is to actually ask any existing teams to help explain. Only the captain of each team will be added to a what's app group with the chief arbiter for the tournament. Crucial information will flow in this chat group from time to time. Captains also vote on certain matters should the need arise, certain issues require every team to agree. Based on current format over the past 2 seasons, the captains are also expected to submit their team line-up (teams have the flexibility to arrange their players in any order of the board, i.e. board #1 need not be the strongest player). 
  • Hope to see you there! 

Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner

p.s. My team mate, Mark Liew, a.k.a. Dr Chessdad, also has a chess blog with similar theme -- in my own words, "created by newbies, for newbies". We are seeking to improve our own chess play as we document our journey and share our thoughts tips on how we think fellow newbies, esp. fellow adult players, can improve. I do find his content much more organised than mine, so do check it out if you are serious in improving. He is also a FIDE certified instructor in Singapore.  (Mark, I'm sorry if this isn't how you see it, if not, just forgive me okay!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...