Sunday, July 22, 2018

Sunday Rapid Games Adventures @ Siglap South CC

Played 4 games with players of different levels today. Gotta say I felt I learned the most from the last game with the strongest opponent. But I don't mind playing players of various levels -- there are mistakes from all 4 games worth going through / seek improvements on.

VS Weaker Opponents


Specific Learning Points
  • White was better from the first move to the last. 
  • The best decision made in my opinion was 14.Bf2 over 14.Bxf4 (which the engine agrees).

Specific Learning Points

  • It is really difficult to realise an opening advantage -- you need to know "the whole thing" rather than knowing bits and pieces here and there. Again, up to the player him/herself whether it is worth the time investment.
  • Convenient moves need not necessarily be bad. If you feel that the defensive move is necessary, just determine whether you have enough time to play it!

VS  Equal Opponent

Specific Learning Points

  • Be careful of counter-attacks. Often, after gaining material advantage, we will need to endure an initiative from the opponent (because we spent time to capture the material). Have to minimise the threats of this initiative. In a way, Black's downfall in the game was caused by inability to recognise potential pawn break.
  • If a move feels dubious or uncertain, it's probably a bad move. Don't make it unless in desperate situation!
VS  Stronger Opponent



 Specific Learning Points
  • Whenever in unfamiliar situation, stick to general guidelines! Here, I love my move 10...e5! in response to 10.h4, based on the general guideline that when the opponent advances in the wings, advance in the centre (and vice versa). 
  • I didn't play very well in this game, making a couple of slips I usually won't (I blame this on my inability to handle the surprise position, LOL), but it was not too one-sided overall. Main reason for loss was actually time management -- I allowed my opponent to gain too much clock time against me.

General Learning Points
  • Against weaker opponents, it might be a valid match strategy to play safe and let them collapse on their own. Conversely, when playing against stronger opponents, we should not allow ourselves to crumble on our own.
  • I tend to have this bad habit of losing in the 1st few games against players of certain standard. But once I  "figure the opponent out", I think I have at least decent chances, no matter who I play against. (At least, this would be a good way to motivate myself before a game, LOL)
  • In any case, staying composed is the most important!
Sunday comes to an end... back to the much dreaded work week =( 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...