Sunday, July 8, 2018

2 Rapid Training Games Played @ Siglap South CC on 8th July 2018

Still feeling the fatigue from yesterday evening's standard chess. Still, it was fun!

I'm glad I got the "Sunday Chess Uncle" to play using the clock -- it would help prepare him for his maiden tournament after decades of absence from chess very much!

Game 1: "Anti-Sicilian"
(Again, I goofed up the opening play, but I was never truly worse throughout the game)


Learning Points
  • I like my decision making where exchanges are concerned. E.g. 14.Nxf6 instead of 14.Nxe7 was an improvement over my old self!
  • Got to be a bit more careful and familiar with the opening phase.
  • It is really possible to play against the Sicilian defence using a "quiet style". There is no need to fight fire with fire in the most open / dynamic fashion. Furthermore, because Black is likely to prefer an open fight, playing anti-Sicilian arguably takes Black players away from their comfort zone. See how Black was unable to deal with the slight squeeze and went berserk and collapsed on his own.

Game 2: "Handling Opening Gambit through its acceptance"
(I do believe that to truly refute a gambit, you need to accept it and show that there is inadequate compensation for the pawn.)




Learning Points
  • On one hand, I need to grow more balls courage to accept the "gift" pawn on d5. On the other hand, the way I handled it was not that bad -- Black is simply better just that he missed out having a decisive advantage right from the start.
  • I like my consistent approach in denying counter-play from my opponent =) 
Any comments / feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your time and attention!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing
(aka. newbie_learner)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...