Friday, June 21, 2019

Basic Etiquette Overlooked in Chess

The most recent experiences I had (first at Singapore Chess Meetup, followed by Thomson CC Chess Club temporarily located at Bishan CC) makes me answer this question easily: Please do NOT interrupt a player during a clocked (timed) game.

Obviously, nobody had ill intentions. But while playing a game, I am really pissed off when friends (i.e. people I know) approached me with a question or say "hi". It would've been absolutely fine at any other time -- except when the clock is ticking and I'm on serious mode.

I apologise for blowing up, but I think it would be good for an observer (i.e. whoever is not playing a game) to see whether a timed game is going on before approaching. At least, please do NOT do it to me again -- I can apologise afterwards, but be warned that vulgarities may come out from a usually mild soul. I can be much more tolerant towards other types of distractions (e.g. kids being noisy nearby), but I really cannot stand direct interruptions disrupting the normal flow of the game. Now I can truly understand the frustrations of "professionals" at work.

"Jokes" aside, here are some of my badly played games. 3 undeserved wins, although some of them may have learning value replaying. This time round, I will just share my personal thoughts on the game without checking with the engines. Will hope to gather some human input to work on improving my game play.

Thanks ahead.

Games Replay: http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/6/22/Game11476187.html


Chess-play aside, some other random things I'd like to say:

  • Am waiting for this marvellous leather travel set to reach me. Will be bringing this out for all my future chess games (Asia Square on Wednesdays, Thomson CC chess Club at Bishan CC on Fridays and Siglap South CC on Sundays).


  • Silicone chess board is not the "best" at all. Yes it has its advantage -- can fold it with no issue laying flat with no "wrinkles". But it has very severe issues including but not limited to:
    • Gets dirty very easily -- attracts dust;
    • Very difficult to swap sides after each game. Much easier on other type of "solid" chess boards; and
    • Cannot slide pieces!
That's all for now.


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...