Friday, May 24, 2019

Halftime Report: Round 4 in the QCD League (24 May 2019)

Finally, I found enough time and energy to get back on my coverage of the QCD League 2019. I don't think I will do any retrospective coverage of the previous rounds. (Sorry!)

This was a rather meaningful round for my team (8.c4!). First, our team scores was -2 = 1 + 0 (2 loss 1 draw 0 win) , so we certainly hoped to achieve better results. Second, I am seeking to break my personal doughnut after a poor -2 = 0 + 0 (2 losses with 0 draws and 0 wins). But the most important of all, is that 1 of my team mates, Nirag, is playing his last game for us as he would be migrating -- you'll be missed my dear friend, but I would be following any news and update on your sons in their chess ventures ahead!

Pre-match "Preparation"
We were paired against Team Knight Riders, a newly formed team which I helped to matchmake. To be honest, despite knowing a few of the other teams members, I don't really know the rest. So my pre-match advice to my team mates was "Don't bother to try preparing anything, just play your normal game." Because of the random board pairings employed in this league (the pairings were only released 1 hour before the commencement), it reduces the likelihood or efficiency of "reparations". So in short, there was probably zero preparation.

My Personal Game
My game was the first to finish. I will share the actual course of it, followed by how it (may have) affected the team dynamics.

Disclaimer: Do note that I am still a struggling learner to seek improvement. Hence, take my comments with a pinch of salt. But if you have any tips and suggestions, especially different views or opinion, please feel free to share with me so that I have a chance to learn and improve!

As always, the same game was analysed differently. In the first version, I just write down my own thoughts during the game, and in the second version, I run the one-click tactical analysis function from Chessbase 15.

Click here for the game replay: http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/5/25/Game581305125.html

Team Dynamics 
Because my game was to the first to finish, I was hoping it could have a positive psychological impact to the my team mates. Unfortunately, both of my neighbouring boards lost. And while watching the final game being played out, a lot of thoughts crossed my mind. The one I remember the most was: should I, in my capacity as captain, inform my team mate that he has to play to win? I know that would've exerted pressure, which can either have a plus or backfire. In the end, I decided to "mind my own business" and let him play his own game. And what an endgame treat it was! Frankly, if I was playing in my team mates' shoes, I would've been trying to find a way to secure a draw -- which comes to the point I want to bring out and confess:

Unlike most other chess players, I don't "play to win". I start off all games with "play to not lose" mentality, which I think is really hindering my own growth and development. If anything, it really hurts my results even when playing with weaker opponents. So if there are any fellow "newbies" starting out, I really hope you can not be like me and start off with the correct "play to win" attitude.

To Let the Game Run Smoothly v.s. Executing the FIDE Laws of Chess Strictly
In this deciding game (my team 8.c4! was trailing team Knight Riders 1-2), there came a situation whereby the player from team Knight Rider actually committed an unintended illegal move. For readers who are unfamiliar with the FIDE Laws of Chess, you actually need to promote a piece properly. You cannot just push your pawn to the 8th rank and press the clock. Under the laws of chess, this would've constituted an illegal move, and the punishment would be to award 2 minutes to the opponent (i.e. my team mate). "Everyone" saw it, but my team mate was not interested to making a claim. In fact, shortly after, the player from team Knight Rider committed a second illegal move. This time, grabbing the King and mistaking it as the Queen. Again, under the FIDE laws of chess, this should have been penalised as a game forfeit. Again, my very sporting team mate let it go, and shortly after, he won the game anyway.

Of course, good sportsmanship should be commended. However, for learning purpose, I hope all players new to or unfamiliar with the current laws of chess can take that little bit of effort to avoid such a situation as a measure to protect yourself (in the "real world" out there, not all your opponents would be so sporting and let this slide). In fact, this is not the first time illegal move via pawn promotion has occurred. I have observed this infringement quite a few times in the QCD league already.

Yet if I take away my arbiter hat for a while, I can kind of understand why enforcing an illegal move can really disrupt the flow of the game and cause unhappiness to 1 or both players. But then, arbiters have no choice according to the FIDE Laws of Chess. If they observe an illegal move, they are supposed to step in. Hence, I also hope that chess players can be patient and understanding if any arbiter's call go against their favour -- they are just doing their job, doing what is prescribed in the FIDE laws of chess.

Conclusion
I was pleasantly surprised when a spectator approached me and talked about the many chess posts I wrote. You mean anyone other than myself actually reads them!? =). I'm sorry that I have reduced my frequency a little -- these days, I only write when I have enough time, energy and inspiration. I hope they can continue to be somewhat entertaining and not a complete waste of time.

As the first half of the tournament is reached, let's take a look at the current standings!


I will continue to try my best to improve my personal games and hopefully help the team strive for the best results possible. We can only go up from here ^o^

And I do have a confession to make. While hearing some of the chess players ask about the best chess club/site in Singapore at present, I couldn't help boasting about Brad's Singapore Chess Meetup. I mean, I can back up my claim -- is there any other chess club or site in Singapore that has a minimum of 30 attendees and more than 60 players during its peak on a weekly basis? If you know of one, please let me know! Otherwise, you are more than welcomed to check out the Singapore Chess Meetup!

Thanks for reading!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...