Thursday, March 28, 2019

Good Games at Singapore Chess Meetup 27 Mar 2019

A game can be good despite losing. I enjoyed 2 of the games I played with a younger adult opponent, even though I lost both. I also took the liberty to attempt reviewing a long game played between 2 of my long-time chess friends, Weng Chew and William.

All the 3 games (self-attempted review on my own, followed by Chessbase 15's tactical analysis) can be replayed on the following external link:

http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/3/28/Game609876187.html

Interesting snapshots

Game 1: young adult v.s. newbie_learner
Game Position after 16.Qc2 

Here, I really wanted to play 16...Be3, but I had concerns over 17.Bxe3 Nxe3 18.Qb3 Nxf1 19.Rxf1, despite Black winning an exchange, I did not enjoy the fact that both my b7 and f7 pawns are vulnerable to the White Queen. Instead, I played a much tamer 16...Nxf2 forcing 17.Kxf2. I knew something bad was going to happen -- Caissa will never forgive a chess player for giving up such an opportunity. Yet I tend to try and (over) simplify whenever I'm down on time. Need to grow some... courage. 

Game 2: newbie_learner v.s. young adult
Position after 6...c5

Here, I really like my own find of 7.Bxb8 Qxb8 8.Bb5+ causing Black practical inconvenience -- the Black King had to stay in the middle of the board with so many pieces yet on the board. Unfortunately, I went astray too much and despite having a 1 pawn advantage, I blundered horribly in the endgame and lost. Maybe the final position was still playable, but I was too disgusted and demoralised with my own play and simply opted the easy way out ^o^

The best, most interesting one is saved for the last!

Game 3: Weng Chew v.s. William
Position after 28...gxh4

Here, the Asia Square folks who were observing this game were debating over what is the best continuation for White. I actually like my "safe and quiet" approach of 29.Qc3 (which turns out to be the engine's preferred choice too!) The point being, it is the easiest to deny Black Queen control over the c-file, and the resource of ...Qc1+. Of course, 29.Bxd7, which was played, is also winning, although interestingly, the engine recommends 29.Bxd7 Qc1+!? as best try for Black. Even in a losing position, the engine prefers to go all out and get some activity, rather than the passive recapture with 29...Qxd7. Interestingly, another 2 candidate moves that were discussed, 29.Qd6 and 29.Qe7 were dismissed, as Black Queen will have the resource of 29...Qc1+ followed by 30...Qxb2+. If White is careless, the b5 Bishop would even fall (so 29...Qc1+ 30.Kf2 is forced and then 30...Qxb2+ 31.Be2 should be a draw.


From my own games and the Weng Chew-William game, these are my current "conclusions":

  • Time management is a HUGE part of the game. Are there actually any chess books that teaches time management? Also, for players with ambition to improve, always play with a clock. It does not matter so much what time control is played -- you can play a long time control, but the very presence of a chess clock ensures fairness in terms of time resource and forces you to play well under time pressure. 
  • We (Or at least I, lol) tend to play badly under time pressure. No more "pressing the clock with 1 second left" kind of luck I used to have last year. Which is fine, I'd rather seek real improvement than rely on luck in a dishonourable fashion!
  • There was 1 period of time when I severely doubted the very little bit of chess understanding I have. After yesterday, my conclusion is that it is not all-bad. I have my strengths and weaknesses. There are certain positions which I do not play well (e.g. not taking enough chances) but on the other hand, my judgement to deny Black of any counter-play with 29.Qc3 in the Weng Chew - William game is on-point. And this is important to me, because most of my other chess friends do not appreciate the value of denying counter-play completely. Not that they are wrong, but I am even more assured that there's nothing wrong with my "safety first when winning" approach. I just need to be even more effective with it!
Last but not least, I really think Weng Chew improved in his play. He shows great understanding in simplifying a won position. And his accuracy in this particular game is a high 43%. Engine scores evaluate (so it's "objective") White to be at least equal if not better, from the beginning to the end.

May losses be a source of motivation to improve our future play. Again, we can always turn to Juga's music for some comfort! 




Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...