Friday, January 11, 2019

Good Chess Night at Thomson CC Chess Club

Was glad to see my chess friends and some new chess kids. But nothing can compare to this game with a kiddo who used to play at Siglap South CC Chess Club. To be honest, today was not the best play I can offer because of my lack of sleep for the past whole week. But I usually don't know how to reject any request for a game ^o^ And once we step onto the chess board, there are no more excuse!

Quite frankly, I found the kid familiar, but I didn't recognise him until after the game was over. But I feel that he has improved so much since we played months ago. I understand that he hasn't gotten a coach, but has been playing many online games on his own. Well, whatever works for you best, keep it going!

newbie_learner v.s. kiddo

Feelings and Learning Points

Because I'm not in very good state of mind, I have also made available "one-click analysis" from Chessbase 15 (using stockfish 10) to pick up tactical mistakes and inaccuracies for comparison against my analysis for the game. The games can be opened up here:

http://view.chessbase.com/cbreader/2019/1/12/Game158973640.html
  • 3.Nc3 is one of the anti- King's Indian Defences which I have recently experimented with great success. I was surprised that so many opponents did not play 3...d5 which is the main move to take away White's e4. After 3...d5, Black makes it very difficult for White to achieve c4 or e4 to make a pawn duo with the d4 pawn. Of course, these days I also have other sidelines, and I also play into the mainline too -- I feel that I shouldn't always run away from my fears. Rather I should face and overcome it.
To any reader who might need a side-line to face the King's Indian Defence, would you like to try 3.Nc3 ? Hopefully Black doesn't play 3...d5 =) But even if Black does, it's not necessarily the end of the world. "Just play chess" if that happens!

  • Before this game, I was just telling another kiddo I played with, to not show too much emotions when he felt he just made a bad move, giving opponent free clues. I hope I didn't show too much frustration on my face when I played 15.g4?! The most annoying thing is, that I knew exactly what was coming (15...Ng3) and I even had all the ideas to fight it. Yet I allowed it due to a complete loss of focus on my part. 
I can't really explain how I can make the blunder of 15.g4?! when I already identified that Black was playing 15...Ng3, and I was even thinking of responses to either prevent Black's Knight from coming in, or to avoid losing the Bishop pair. 15.g4?! must be 1 of the worst mistakes possible in this position.

  • 19.Qb5 was really timid on my part. Again, whenever I'm on panic mode, I tend to over-simplify the position because I value simplicity and equality under such circumstances. This may also be partly attributed to my mental state -- I feel tired and didn't want to get into a highly complicated position and "overwork" myself.
My objectively sub-par move 19.Qb5 to simplify the position by forcing an exchange of Queens.

  • I still have a lot to work on appreciating pawn breaks and "positional chess". After Black's 21...h5, which looks like a fine move, what would you play? I played 22.Rdh1, but if Black doesn't play ...hxg4, what does White actually do from there?
Care to suggest how White should continue from this position after Black's logical-looking 21...h5 ?

  • Enough of the criticisms. Some good stuff: I was super lucky to be able to convert this rather equal position. Yes, I admit I am super lucky, though I also feel that I worked hard enough for luck to work for me. I don't know if I'm making sense here.
Position after 32...Nb8. With nothing to lose, I tried 33.Ba5+ Kb7 (33...Kc8 is worth considering as it seems to avoid any tactical complications) 34.Bd8 This was essentially a tricky move to lure Black into making a mistake. I do want to share my view, that this (playing moves which stays on equality if opponent makes the correct move, and wins if opponent replies wrongly) is not "hope chess". Rather, I call this a "free shot", since this feels like a free shot to try and win a game. After all, if your opponent does not make a since mistake, you cannot win a game! Here, it was unfortunate for my opponent to play 34...g5?! when Just moving the dark square Bishop away should maintain equality. I guess Chess Goddess, Caissa, blessed me again for being a faithful follower! 

The night ended great with a post-birthday celebration supper treat from Mr John Wong -- thanks again!

And thank you for reading, once again!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...