Friday, December 7, 2018

Fun Night at Thomson CC Chess 7 Dec 2018

This is not any of those "serious" topics, just sharing some pure fun chess experience had at Thomson CC Chess Club.

Another filled session at Thomson CC Chess Club tonight. Some of these players were probably warming up for the Cairnhill CC Chess Festival 2018 held tomorrow, 8 Dec - 9 Dec, while others prefer to have an early night as well. I'm not playing in the Cairnhill Chess Festival, so I do not have any concerns over over-exertion.

2 of my chess friends having fun with each other! Can you see the DGT set I brought? =) Glad it generated some interest amongst the (adult) players!


The shot has to be retaken because 1 of the boys was so shy, he shield himself with the water bottle.

There we go. Good things must be shared! The photo captures the positivity of your game in chess. But I do apologise for the slight distraction I caused. Please forgive me, Chess Goddess Caissa!





Chess is a stressful yet fun game!

The following are 3 rapid games I played with a kiddo. Can feel his improvement compared to the previous time we played (has been a while since).

Game 1
Learning Points
  • My opening play is nothing to be proud of. Too many minor inaccuracies here, there, everywhere.
  • Tactical errors are more critical -- My young opponent had all the opening edge. Unfortunately one slip ended the game on the spot.
  • TIME MANAGEMENT -- POOR PLAY CREEPS IN WHEN YOU ARE LOW ON TIME.


Game 2
Learning Points
  • I felt my opening play was decent, and I even liked the pawn structure / middle game position I was presented with. 
  • Unfortunately, I got led astray, got into time trouble and had to content with a repetition in the end.
  • TIME MANAGEMENT -- POOR PLAY CREEPS IN WHEN YOU ARE LOW ON TIME.


Game 3
Learning Points
  • To be honest, I made quite a number of impractical decisions all across the game. Right from my opening choice, transposing it back into the French Defence was probably a bad decision as my young opponent had pointed out. Also, in the opening phase, I got into trouble playing too optimistically. I should have accepted equality if I couldn't press, rather than trying to accept a slightly worse position just to play on.
  • TIME MANAGEMENT -- POOR PLAY CREEPS IN WHEN YOU ARE LOW ON TIME. I don't think I'd make blunders / inaccuracy as bad as 19.Nb3 Ba6 20.Rxd8 Rxd8 21.Qd1?? Qxd1 22.Bxd1 losing to 22...Na4 under normal circumstances. Okay maybe I need to get myself back in better form ^o^

It wasn't all that bad. I scored 3-3 against a stronger and higher rated opponent in a mini blitz series (I took 1 White and 5 Blacks). It's a good opening test as well as general tactical sensing and time management in one! Also, was pleasantly surprised to be congratulated by spectators who hoped my win will put my opponent's arrogance in check. I guess maintaining a good chess reputation is quite important and valuable after all =)

The night wrapped up nicely with a light drinking session with Mr John Wong, founder of Thomson CC Chess Club along a couple of his friends. Glad they didn't mind me being part of their company for the night =) 

That's it. Thanks again for your time =)


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...