Sunday, November 11, 2018

Interesting Mini-Series with Kiddo @ Siglap South CC (11 Nov 2018)

It's been a while since I've seen Benedict at Siglap South CC. I have to say, I can feel his rise in playing strength. A lot of kids went to play in the 5th Toa Payoh East CC WEC Junior Chess Championships 2018, so we had to content ourselves with fewer players.

The results of the games aside, there were interesting learning points in all of the games played.

Game 1


Personal Thoughts / Learning Points
  • Anything that feels as simple as possible would be the "correct" way to play the opening (at least in my opinion). 
  • Really bad time management on my part -- the mistakes in the endgame phase are mostly arising from that (other than lack of endgame knowledge / skills)
  • Never give up no matter how bad the position may seem to be.
  • The big decision at 14.Bxc6 Qxc6 had to be calculated well. I didn't calculate correctly, but my decision turns out correct.
White to move: After 14.Bxc6 Qxc6, what will you play? 15.Qxc6, 15.Qxa7 or something else?


Game 2

Personal Thoughts / Learning Points
  • I've yet to fully grasp the difference between ...h6 and ...h5.
  • My constant refusal to play the more active-looking ...Bd6 is puzzling

Game 3

Personal Thoughts / Learning Points
  • Even though I don't encounter this opening that often, I'm glad I felt confident and got into a good position. General understanding of the opening you play can go a long way. 

Other Blitz Games Recorded on the DGT Board

Click here for the blitz games captured on the DGT Board. The players should be able to identify their own games.

Once again, thank you for your time reading!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...