Monday, November 26, 2018

Delayed Coverage on Sunday Chess @ Siglap South CC 25 Nov 2018

I finally gathered enough energy to complete this post! It was interesting in that I "completely collapsed" after the games played, lying in bed skipping dinner from extreme fatigue and lack of appetite. Turns out I was diagnosed with stomach flu. Am glad I only collapsed after the games were played, so that I probably tried my best and there's no excuse for my play =)

In both of these games (untimed), there were positions where I was in a huge disadvantage / very close to losing. Luckily, I managed to turn the tables results-wise. More importantly, it is good to uncover more shortcomings of my own play as part of the overall lifelong learning process!

(I've been experimenting with the manner the games replay are presented. Feel free to let me know should you have any preference!)

Game 1
Personal Thoughts / Learning Points
  • Misplayed the opening (I'm more experienced with 3.c4), but no regrets trying out to see how things go in this line. 
  • I should have been braver in initiating exchanges to hold equality (this time round, I got paranoid over "bad exchanges" and did not initiate them enough). When the position is already bad, don't make it worse!
  • Need to be careful with threats like 22...f4! I still believe it would've "killed me on the spot".

Game 2
Personal Thoughts / Learning Points
  • (Sad to say) Playing the same opening regularly does not equate to understanding. I certainly shows lack of understanding in the opening phase after White initiated 9.e4 to open up the position. 
  • Not everything is bad -- I like my evaluation of the endgame leading to my decision to centralise my King to go for the Queenside pawns starting with 25...Kf8 which, engine deems as best in an equal position. (Although I probably got a bit paranoid that there is a chance Black cannot win in the last few moves.)  Also, some other judgement, like 30.Rb2 can lead to a inferior but holdable position for White is on-point.

Some Random Shout-outs to Conclude:
  • Special thanks to my personal chess hero, Anthony, (to read about his sporting etiquette, check out this earlier post ^o^) dropping by Siglap South CC for the first time. I'm so sorry you didn't get to play a game -- many players went for the very well-received Nee Soon East Chess Challenge 2018 (with more than 200! players).
  • Special shout out to the very first Pub X Chess Invitation. It's unfortunate I was unable to go down to see the event live in person due to timing clash with Siglap South CC Chess Club. Always a joy to see new formats and experiments to keep the game and competition interesting. And I have to say, the trophies look gorgeous! May that motivate more of the local chess players to take part and put in their best efforts!
  • Last but not least, because our very own Mr Bradley Loh, the founder of Singapore Chess Meetup (to me, it was the Singapore Chess Meetup which helped to directly or indirectly push or cross-promote other welcomed local chess initiatives like Pub X Chess and the QCD Adults Team Chess League) is on an overseas trip, Andre and I will try our best to serve as covering hosts for the next 2 weeks (i.e. sessions on 28 Nov 2018 and 5 Dec 2018. We hope you will continue to have a pleasant experience at the meetup as always ^o^ Do remember to rsvp as it helps to give assurance to newcomers that the meetup is "alive and active". 
Thanks again for your reading time, see you at Singapore Chess Meetup tomorrow!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
newbie_learner
Siglap South CC Chess Quartet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...