Sunday, October 14, 2018

Quick Review of Sunday Chess Session @ Siglap South CC (14 Oct 2018)

I need to finish up this quickly as I have  a totally mad work schedule this week. It helps that the games I played were captured on the DGT Board correctly, so I have no choice but to jump straight to the engines for the 1 game look in more depth.

Quick Thoughts / Comments:
  • Specifically for my condition today (suffering from some lack of sleep), I liked the "relaxed" mode I played out the opening phase of the game at large. But throughout the game, I felt like Black has no real winning chances -- these are important points to consider, in preparation for tournament play
    • If I'm very tired, playing a less taxing line would be good. 
    • Do I have/need something (else) available in a must-win situation?
  • Endgames, endgames! According to the engines (which is super-precise where endgame is concerned), I really misplayed quite badly. It wasn't easy for sure -- I need to count to make sure that the opponent runs out of move, or that I win a clear King opposition etc. More importantly, I need to try and improve my endgame play for sure.

Other games captured on the DGT Board




To wrap up, I'd like to feature another game played between 2 of the regulars, "Sunday Chess Uncle", Eric with William. Both of them lack tournament experience, but do not lack the passion for the game. Personally, I quite like William's feel of the moves for certain phases of the endgame -- much better than myself. I've already given my comments directly at the chess site, so if any reader is open to help, please share your comments / feedback for them to learn.



The final chess game played at today's session. Again, we went overtime (usual hours 3pm-6pm). My own game ended at 7pm, and this one lasted till 8pm ^o^. This game was not played over the DGT Board, but like myself, Eric also has the habit of recording the game moves, so there you have it. We need to convince him to get a computer and subscribe to internet services to enjoy all the freebies in chess today!
p.s. Special thanks to Weng Chew for providing recording sheets to all his opponents, including Eric and myself ^o^


Thank you!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (newbie_learner)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...