Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Another Interesting Game and Experience @ Singapore Chess Meetup (10 Oct 2018)

Had an interesting game with Lightman Deng who made his debut at the Singapore Chess Meetup. I only wish he can have many good experience with not just the best chess site, but also enjoy playing at as many various sites during his times in Singapore. For this, perhaps he can consider the "Where to Play Chess in Singapore" post I did some time ago =) 

Now, putting on my usual "learning / reviewing" lenses on the game I lost, below is our game replay:



Learning Points (from my point of view):

1. Sometimes, trying to complete the opening development at the fastest pace may not always be good. It may be good to control certain squares first before completing development (provided the opponent cannot shut down your options). Here I am referring to the possibility to consider 12...e6 before 12...b5. (Though interestingly, the engine's evaluation favour what I played over what I preferred).

2. I have been quite bad in terms of making a Knight move "forcing" the opponent to play the good move of Bishop takes Knight with inadequate support, resulting in pawn weaknesses. It has been recurring in the recent games I lost. I am specifically referring to 14...Nc4 15.Bxc4

3. My tactical sense failed me in this game. Playing 23...Qxd5 instead of 23...Nxd5 was really bad on my part. No excuse!

4. Last but not least, endgames! It is surprising there's so much resources whereby Black could've saved the game, but all were missed out. Need to up endgame knowledge, and avoid playing the last few moves so casually. Which is a good practical skill to pick up -- more often than not, we become very tired and short of time in the endgames.

The playing aspect of chess aside, I am glad to have gotten the autograph from Mr John Wong, the captain of the Women's Team for Singapore at the recently concluded Chess Olympiad held in Batumi, Georgia. The souvenir also was a gift from him to me, and it is my personal wish to get as many captains and players who participated in this tournament to autograph the book ^o^


Thank you for the autograph, John! Though I do not intend to "impurify" the souvenir with my own game recordings. For now, I wish to only capture the autographs of all team captains and players in the Batumi chess Olympiad.

That's it for today. Thanks again for your time and interest!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing
(a.k.a. newbie_learner)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...