Sunday, September 23, 2018

How not to play chess @ Siglap South CC 23rd Sept 2018

Lost a couple of games today. Most important but valuable loss was game #2 to William -- 1 bad move just spoilt a favourable game immediately. Oh well, it will do me good to have a better sense of danger in future! Kudos to him climbing back from a very bad position at one point.

Also, played a number of "experimental" games with Seng Chin, a regular attendee and chess friend has a very strong tactical feel of the position. What's important was not the exact moves / move orders (certain games I will never play that opening), but  the realisation that "quiet" play (i.e. the way I play) in a dynamic position is akin to courting death. Especially in opposite side castle positions, it is largely about who is faster in executing his attacks. I also come to the realisation that sometimes, a speculative sacrifice (to me, 1 that I cannot calculate to the point of a clear win, despite the features of the position looking very promising) is demanded by the position. I simply can't take my time and find the optimum "nice-looking" move.

Without further ado, here are today's 2 games worth replaying. Do note that White is trying to pick up from the wrong thinking and biases, so that his thought process can be better improved. In some ways, this may be viewed as "how not to play chess", a negative demonstration of sorts. Also, the points and thoughts in the opening phase of the game are not meant to get White a substantial advantage. Rather, it is meant to help me get into the type of positions I like to play. They are not the same thing, so don't be too surprised if you don't like the way White plays the opening!

Game 1 (Timed, 15+10)
Self-reflection with no use of Engine
Suggestions Based on Engine or Database Review
  • Instead of 8.Bd3, it may be better to play 8.cxd5 -- If Black replies with 8...exd5, White can inflict an Isolated Queen Pawn in Black's camp. If Black plays 8...Nxd5, then Black's light square Bishop remain closed within its pawn chain.
  • The judgement of leaving the a4 square for Na4 was on-point. Good!
  • White's post-game judgement is correct, in that 20.Bxd5 is simpler to 20.e4 that was played.
  • Even though not engine-best, 21.Kf1 does the job.
  • Overall, White played better, and deserved the win =)

Game 2 (Untimed)
Self-reflection with no use of Engine
Suggestions Based on Engine or Database Review
  • White was guilty of going on auto-pilot even at the 2nd move -- Admittedly, 1...Nc6 is a rather rare move. Instead of 2.c4, which invites 2...e5, Just play 2.d4 instead of 2.c4 for simplicity's sake! And White continued to forgot that Black has ...e5 until move 5 or move 6, lol.
  • Other than somehow being blind to the possibility of ...e5, White's "little" choices in the opening were actually more or less correct, and the post-game review that 13.Nc5 was rash without 13.b4 was on-point. In essence, White has the luxury of time to wait and prepare for things, rather than going for 13.Nc5 immediately. 
  • The easiest way to simplify the position seems to be 21.Rad1, simply fighting Black head-on over the open d-file (instead of 21.Qc4+ that was played). Because with the White Queen on c2,it is still looking over the weakened f5 pawn. If Black plays something like ...Qh6orh5, White can just play h4 to stop the mating idea on h2. Of course, 22.h3?? deserves to lose. 
Overall Impressions
  • Despite the poor results today, I am actually liking what I see today -- I feel like I got the better position out of the opening play (with the exception of being blind to ...e5). 
  • Admittedly, I have not been doing as many tactical puzzles as I wish, and my tactical sense seems to have waned a bit. But man, my time and energy resources are finite. I do feel that I am improving in my opening play, even just a little. At least, I feel more comfortable, confident and not feel like struggling as I usually feel.
As always, all comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing (Eugene)
a.k.a. newbie_learner, scorekeeper


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...