Wednesday, August 8, 2018

My Standard Chess Game on National Day's Eve (8th Aug 2018, Singapore Chess Meetup @ Asia Square Tower 1)

Background
This match was driven by my disagreement with Weng Chew over the basic things an aspiring chess player needs to do ^o^

Even though I won my game with a stroke of luck, I have to eat my words -- his play was much tougher than our previous encounter-- in fact, I think he's easily stronger than the 4 kids I've played against in the current term of the HPE training league. Whatever he's doing -- going through GM games on his own, with special attention paid to forcing himself to visualise the moves -- is working for him. While I would continue with my daily chess puzzles, I have to admit that this may not be the only way to "keep in shape" for chess.



What I thought I did well (opening):
  1. Objectivity aside, it's a great feeling to play in positions I enjoy playing again!
  2. I was largely keeping to the opening objectives (develop, centre control, king safety) without trying to be fanciful
What I thought I did badly (opening):
  1. Queen placement! The inability to find the best square (c2) to fight for control over e4 cost me too much). 
What I thought I did well (midgame):
  1. The choice of 15.Qf1 over 15.Qf3 (even though neither move was "the best"). At least the reasoning made sense!
  2. The insertion of 17.Bb5, even though not objectively winning, was a "free shot" to see if Black would react wrongly. Black replied correctly, but doesn't take away that it was a good free shot for White (playable from equality if Black reacts correctly, would've gotten an advantage if Black mishandled the move). This is the type of practical move I enjoy finding in my game.
  3. The choice of 21.Nxd4 over 21.exd4. Even though White does not exert control over c5 and e5 squares, it was the right decision to make Black suffer the IQP for the long term.
  4. The choice to go for immediate simplification after 24...Rc5 with 25.Nxe4 was great! It seems that at times, I play better when in time trouble =) 
What I thought I did badly (midgame):
  1. Also the choice of 15.Qf1 -- it addresses what happens after the e-file was open. BUT there was a more effective 15.Nf3 to keep the e-file closed! (reply ...cxd4 with Nxd4)
  2. The choice of 22.Qf5 -- or rather, the constant fear of the continuation. This is a clear demonstration of poor calculation/evaluation resulting in lack of confidence.
Would be waiting for my opponent to share his side of the analysis for this game!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing
(newbie_learner)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...