Sunday, August 26, 2018

How Not to Play Chess ^o^

This is based on the rapid turned standard game I just had with Sunday Chess Uncle, Eric, today (26 August 2018) at Siglap South CC.

I guess pointing out how not to play chess has learning value too ^o^


Learning Points for Me
  • Beware of unsound opening sacrifices! Even though it may be objectively bad, you need to be good enough to refute it correctly over the board!
  • It is regrettable that Black missed so many resources to finish the game in the middlegame. All because Black refused to take a bit of risk. In fact, making a move that looks quite promising with little losing chance is not really taking a risk!
  • Be consistent! It feels terrible to be winning in a huge part of the game, only to lose it after a few slips. Attitude-wise, do not ignore or under-estimate a move from the opponent, even if it looks "silly" on first sight!
  • Endgames. Endgames. Endgames. Don't need to say more.
Enough of the negativity. Let's try to brighten up the atmosphere a little =) 

The 2 young ones in the picture were playing a rapid game (15 minutes initial thinking time + 10 seconds increment per move, also referred to as "15+10" in short). Both were serious enough to be recording their moves! Actually, since they were playing on the DGT board, their games, amongst many other games played, were all retrieved once I plugged it in to my laptop. 

As for me, I made myself useful by standing at the "arbiter's position". Yes, I am not an accredited arbiter at present, though I am aspiring to be one. Need to wait for the next run of the arbiter's course.

A Pilot Test: My little additional service to members of Siglap South CC Chess Club

Below are the games played at Siglap South CC that were captured by the DGT chess Board. As usual, I do not identify the players, but the players themselves who played on the DGT Board should know who they are, so that they can retrieve the games for their own review. Hopefully, members can take turns to have their fun with the Board and enjoy the convenience of modern technology =)

I will be gathering feedback from Siglap South CC Chess Club members if this should continue or discontinue. 

Games Retrieved from DGT Board, 26 Aug 2018


Thank you once again for taking your time to read this!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing
(a.k.a. newbie_learner)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...