Wednesday, August 1, 2018

A Great Chess Event on 29 July 2018 (Part 3 Conclusion)

This shall be my final concluding post for the Nanyang Racial Harmony Team Chess Challenge 2018! I have decided not to share the games that "didn't matter" (huge blunder-fest) to spare myself the humiliation. You can also go back to the earlier parts: Part 1 (the game 1 felt most educative for myself + my cross-selling of the QCD Adults Chess League + some pictorial coverage) and Part 2 (coverage of 2 games I shouldn't have won).

First and foremost, let me make the important qualifier that by saying "games that I should not have lost", I am definitely NOT saying that my opponents did not deserve to win. Rather, I should not have made it so easy for them to win =) In fact, it was really good on their part to squeeze a win out of what I opine as equal positions. In a way, this is similar to the different perspectives of the same thing, like the contrasting saying "Games are won by brilliant moves (attack)" as compared to "Games are lost by mistakes (defending)".

Anyway, here goes. In the first example, I thought I(Black) have completely equalised in the opening, I was not entirely correct, but it was close.



Learning Points / Reflections on this Game:
  • I actually felt like I'm learning something (overall/general chess) as I refine my play in this opening (Caro-Kann Defence). 6..Ne7 was worlds apart from 6...Nd7 that was played for instance. Another major point was 12...Nf5 instead of 12...Ned5 to have some cover/protection against d6.
  • Again, while opening did not decide the outcome of the game, it could have -- certain moves if you make too much of a concession, you are just going to get a very uncomfortable position until it ends.
The following game leaves another deep impression on me, as I (someone who pride myself as knowing chess psychology compared to others who don't or neglect this aspect of chess), actually got self-intimidated by my opponent!


Learning Points / Reflections on this Game:

  • Whoever says psychology plays no part in their chess game is either lying or ignorant =) It's a HUGE part of the chess game. And realising it is just a small step towards maximising your potential. See it as shaping your mental toughness as part of your programme towards self-improvement!
  • Time management: I wish I played faster in the earlier phase of the game to have more time where it counts in the endgame.
  • It was not all bad -- I do feel I treated the opening fairly well.
And with this, I end my coverage of my play in the event. I will probably carry the remaining 2 undisclosed game to my grave without publishing them ^o^ 

Thank you for your time!


Yours sincerely
Ong Yujing
(a.k.a. newbie_learner)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...