Saturday, July 14, 2018

An Interesting Training Game Played on 14 July 2018

Summary

Missed a couple of opportunities to gain a huge advantage. But overall, it was an interesting game. In the opening phase, I was purely playing on instinct, and it turned out that we were following an actual game played before until move #18. And I didn't even memorise any opening book on purpose =)



Learning Points / Reflections
  • I am really enjoying the way I study and play chess now. Other than chess knowledge that can be found from various resources, I'm quite into "practical" chess in terms of time management, energy management, stamina/conditioning, fighting spirit and so on. These things would help a player play consistently well to the best of his own abilities.
  • The Bad: I suck at attacking. I really do. I missed so many chances to get a huge advantage by simply "attacking". I tend to over-value my opponent's threats.
  • The Good: Whenever I feel I am worse (sometimes correct, sometimes wrong), I do tend to find good resources to steer the game towards equality.
  •  I am pleasantly surprised that we were following a game played in the online database! Isn't it amazing to be thinking the same way as other chess players? And I didn't know about that game beforehand, it was genuinely played like this OTB =)
  • We won't get to play a "perfect" position all the time. In this game, I (White) had to live with an IQP for the whole game. Don't be scared for nothing!
  • When all else fails (when you can't evaluate the position due to "complexity", or down on time / energy level, stick to general principles -- they are there to guide you when things are not so clear cut!
  • Dozing off in the midst of the game while waiting for opponent's move suggest my lack of stamina. Need to exercise more. Also, it makes me feel for my opponents when I used to play games without clock and move (too) slowly. Not happening again, all / most of my games shall be clocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where to Play Chess in Singapore 2021 (COVID times)

It's probably been a year since I updated this chess blog. Due to the current global pandemic, over the board (OTB) chess has been so ba...